- Cohort Retention Protocol – Outlines the participant follow-up process from initial recruitment into the study to maintaining contact with the research participant throughout the duration of the study.
- Follow-up Assessment Timeline and Escalation of Retention Strategies Flow Diagram Template and Manual – Provides a suggested protocol for escalating participant contact attempts and utilizing participant retention strategies. These issues are important in maximizing completion of timely assessments.
- Home Visit Protocol – Provides guidelines and safety tips for instances when it is necessary to visit patient’s homes (e.g., scheduled home visit or when telephone and written correspondence produce no results).
- Overcoming Follow-up Delay and Cancellation – Provides methods for reducing delayed and missed follow-up assessments, for example, communication tips for rescheduling the assessment and maintaining the participant’s participation in the study.
- Tools for Facilitating In-Person Assessment – Provides suggested tools to help incentivize or facilitate an in-person follow-up assessment visit with a study participant.
- Tools for Facilitating Phone Assessment – Provides suggested tools to help incentivize or facilitate a phone-based follow-up assessment with a study participant.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact us: contact form.
This work is still in-progress. We expect many changes and updates. To receive notifications of new or updated resources from this project, please subscribe to our newsletter.
This work, created by Dale M. Needham, MD, PhD and the Johns Hopkins University Outcomes After Critical Illness & Surgery (OACIS) Group, was funded by NHLBI R24HL111895, and is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.